Tuesday, December 11, 2007

#24

When I began this, I kind of thought it would be reviewing a lot of things I already knew. And while this was true in many cases, there were almost just as many sites that, even though I spend much too much of my free time on the Internet and am quite comfortable with it, I had never really explored, not really. I had heard of sites like Technorati and Del.icio.us, but never actually used them. Even though they may not be things that I personally would use everyday, I think it's good for me to know them in case I am asked questions that those sites would answer. And in being asked to help my colleagues out with the sites I was familiar with, I learned more about them. I had really just learned out to use them in an intuitive, slapdash sort of way, but you can't do that so much when you're teaching someone something, so in approaching them in a more orderly fashion with other people I discovered features I'd either missed before, or that had been released after I gotten to know the site.

I think I've also learned more about the services on the library webpage. Before the only site I had used enough to say I was comfortable with it was the R.E.A.D.S. site.

I think my favorite discoveries that I didn't know before were Google Documents (at least so that I can access copies of important documents anywhere) and the Pandora music site. I'll probably continues to use those, as well as the ones I already loved (LibraryThing and Wikipedia and Youtube).

I think I might do other programs like this, if they were offered. There are still quite a lot of things I need to learn.

No comments: