Wednesday, December 5, 2007

#20 Other Web 2.0

I picked the contest winner for music, Pandora, and I am quite impressed. It calls itself 'Radio from the Music Genome Project', and as the title implies, it really does seem to dissect music into tiny little elements that make the song what it is. It asks you for your favorite artist, and then it plays you a song by that artist. If I didn't know better, I'd swear there was a music genius in there, telling you that it had just picked a song that exemplified Franz Ferdinand's *long string of musical terms I don't really understand*. I got the basic idea, though, and the song it played did seem to be one that represented the band's style. Then it picked another song by a different band that it felt, according to it's mysterious complex 'genome project', matched the things I probably liked about Franz Ferdinand. I'm pretty amazed by this point! And if by some chances it messes up and gives me a song that I don't like at all, I have the chance to give it a 'thumbs down', and I guess that tweak the song chooser's choices even more, giving it more data to work with.

One small downside - I think it still must be limited to artists published in the US, because the only Japanese artist I could get it to find in it's 'genome project' was Utada (Hikaru), and then it was one of her English songs. But I guess that's understandable.

1 comment:

Call me Al said...

Try looking up Ayumi Hamasaki. I was able to get a few different Japanese artists by looking up both Ayumi and Utada, like tonight I got Yoko Kanno.

I think it also depends on which song you look up