Wednesday, December 5, 2007

#18 Online Word Processing

I tried out Google Docs, because I use a lot of Google's services already: email, the personalized home page, and Google Reader for RSS feeds, mainly. Maybe because of that, I didn't have to sign in or anything - when I clicked on the link it took me right to the main page of Google Docs, with me already signed in (because I keep my personalized homepage always signed on my home computer, I guess). So it was very easy.

I like the idea of being able to access documents from anywhere. Before I've always either put documents I know I'd need on other computers into an email attachment or uploaded it to some free webspace somewhere. And that works pretty well, of course, but this is better because I can edit the document right in the same place I am accessing it. And if I wanted to share them with other people, let them edit it, I could do that too. I can see where that might be useful. Especially for projects multiple people are working on. Someone could write up an outline or make a presentation and share it here, and others could go in and make changes to it, without all the emailing back and forth and extra versions that no one is sure what the latest one is.

I uploaded both my resume and the file I keep extra resume type info in: all the addresses of my jobs, and contact information of references. I took the chance to finally update these documents with the information for my job at Kohls, too, which I am ashamed to say I haven't done yet even though I've worked there for three months now. It was pretty easy, just like a word processor or blog post. And now I have created this third document, which I will try to publish in my blog (I think I have the settings right). So, here goes!

No comments: