Saturday, December 1, 2007

#17 LPLS Wiki

Putting the articles on the staff wiki wasn't terribly difficult to me (actually for me the most difficult things to do were A) Finding the time to use a staff computer, today is the only day when we haven't been so overflowing with books that I felt right taking off time from shelving to do it, and B) Learning just exactly where all the files on ther server were. Because I don't usually use the computers here, I never even knew these were all here.

Amusingly enough the thing that took me the most time was figuring out how to put spaces between each list line. The first article I did, entering after each item worked fine, but on the second it didn't. Trying to press enter at the end of each line when I was actually in the wiki editor made the list 'start over'...for example, if I pressed enter after List Item 1, I think it assumed I'd made a new list and List Item 2 became a second list item 1. I ended up just highlighting all of the text in the original article, right clicking and choosing the 'paragraph' option, and choosing the option to double space the whole lot. Then I copied that text into the wiki editor, and it seemed to work.

Here are the articles I did: Checking in Bookdrop Materials and Transit Items. When I searched for these words the right articles came up, as well as a few other words I tried, so I think the search option works pretty well.

I think this wiki will be pretty useful to me because, even though I personally don't deal with most of these procedures evry day, it is probably good to know them. I can only learn so much by just happening to see or here things when I am at the front desk, so I will definitely be reading over the articles as they are posted.

No comments: